Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Letter: I "Heart" Female Orgasm

To the Editor:

Am I the only student that didn’t get a thrill out of the “I heart female orgasm” program at this institution? I thought this university was supposed to be one of “higher” learning, not a university that brings in speakers on the topic of pleasuring one’s girlfriend.

Now, before you dismiss me as a prude, hear me out. I am not advocating that sex education is bad. It is helpful and morally correct (in my opinion) to educate ourselves and youth on the consequences of sexual conduct. I am not even saying that sex is bad or taboo to talk about, either. It should, indeed, be taught that sex is not a taboo, but a normal thing for married couples. Let me say that again. Married. And the 75 percent of Americans who claim to be Christians would agree too, right?  

Maybe critics are right. Maybe the practice of telling kids to wait until marriage to have sex is not working. What about the other influences that may come into play, however? In other words, what about the media that is on TV, the way our society as a whole views sex, infiltrating into our minds and/or programs like “I heart female orgasm” that talk about sex like it is some nonchalant, watercooler discussion. Vanguard staff writer Courtney Duncan even said, “I’m not going to go as far as Solot and Miller did about the pleasures of sex, because I think that mentality is excessive, but I will say that sex needs further discussion in schools.” (Nov. 17 issue) I completely agree. I was at the event and I felt that it was distasteful and excessive; that the speakers went too far in talking about sex, like it should be enjoyed by anyone and everyone, married or not. Have we lost all sense of moral decency and upright?

I applaud Program Board for always trying offer the latest and greatest entertainment for our campus; however, I just simply ask them to choose more wisely when allocating our school’s funds toward events that are as distasteful as the one witnessed this week.

– Adam Christopher Arnold
Secondary Ed. Senior

No comments: