Sunday, November 9, 2008

Election Party Draws Crowd Of Hundreds, Invokes Emotional Responses

By Courtney Duncan


The 2008 election brought tears of joy and of pain to many of the hundreds of students who attended SVSU’s election party to watch live coverage of the results in the Thompson Student Activities Room.


SVSU’s Program Board, Student Association (SA), and Residential Housing Association (RHA) collaborated to offer students food, party favors, and opportunities to win prizes while they viewed election results.


“I’m just balling my eyes out – so happy,” criminal justice and sociology sophomore Amanda Helton said. “Proposals 1 and 2 are passing – that’s amazing. There’s hope for the future.”


While many students also felt this sense of joy about the election, others were left in tears for different reasons. 


“I was crying, literally, and not because I was happy. I’m moving to Canada,” occupational therapy sophomore Megan Milbourne said.


Art freshman Aaron Inman, who was sitting along the back wall of the room shortly after 11 p.m., said, “I don’t want to talk about it. I’m moving, and not to Canada or Mexico, that’s not safe enough.”


Several other students celebrated Barack Obama’s victory, though they didn’t reach the point of tears.


“I’m excited,” graphic design senior Thereese Ford said. “I don’t know what else to say. I’m at a loss for words.”


“I’m happy. I hope everything turns out better than it has been lately,” secondary education sophomore Leanne Hilkowski said.


Many students were satisfied that their efforts to change America by voting were successful. 


“I’m really elated…real surprised. I drove back to Detroit to vote. I’m really happy,” graphic design sophomore Nicholas Ashmon said.


Student leaders who hosted the election party were also satisfied. Around 600 students attended throughout the night, enjoying Jets Pizza, Buffalo Wild Wings, and a large assortment of snack as the election coverage progressed. 


Program Board President Shane Williamson was impressed with both the event and the election. 


“This event shows that student leaders can program for students on a large scale,” he said. “It only goes to prove to those above us that we can do this – money well spent, time well spent.”


Williamson was proud of the way the organizations collaborated.


“The Big 3 can work together and show unity,” he said. “We couldn’t have done it without the work of all three organizations.


“I’m also glad Obama won. I’m glad we had such a diverse group of students to witness it. It’s a really historic event – students voicing their opinions.”

SA President Angela Seeley held a similar view. 

“We’re collaborating for the students. We want to use all the students’ money to the best of our abilities,” she said. “We can fund huge programs when working with three budgets. It’s nice to have unity and not be competing with each other.”

Isaac Hudson, president of RHA, was happy with the election results. 

“I hope [students] reflect that only 70 years ago it would’ve been hard for an African American to vote, and now we have a black president.” 

He was equally impressed by the program.

“I’m really happy with the turnout for the event. I think it’s more than any of us expected. I’m really happy that RHA was able to help what seems like potentially one of the biggest programs on campus.”

“I think programs like these show that Big 3 organizations have committed to a partnership and attitude of working together to put students first,” Hudson said.

No comments: